Are you in a situation that would require a dental implant? A dental implant is a surgical component that interfaces (fuses) with the jawbone to replace missing teeth. The most common dental implants are crowns, brigades, or dentures.
While dental implants are a wonderful artificial solution to replacing a missing tooth, there are both pros and cons to this solution and they should all be considered and discussed with your dentist.
Why Should I Get Dental Implants?
Here are some of the reasons we recommend a dental implant:
- Dental implants are very durable and stable. Dental implants get fused to your jawbone, so they are a great long-term option.
- With a dental implant, you gain a tooth that not only looks real but also feels and functions real.
- Because they look like real teeth, dental implants can make your smile look realistic and people won’t be able to tell a difference.
- With a dental implant you are actually reducing the potential amount of potential bone loss.
- Since dental implants are fused to your jawbone, they function just like real teeth. This means it is just as easy to talk, eat, and drink with them as it is with real teeth. Easier to eat and talk than dentures because they are a permanent solution.
What Are the Negatives of Dental Implants?
All of those reasons are certainly great, but there are a few negatives to consider as well. If you are seriously considering a dental implant, keep in mind:
- Getting dental implants is a very lengthy process so it is not really a quick fix.
- In rare cases, dental implants can cause an infection in your mouth.
- Some people may need a bone graft to support the dental implants.
- Even with insurance coverage there is an out of pocket cost, so it is not always the cheapest option.
Should I Get Dental Implants?
Are you looking for a permanent solution? Are you looking for something that has a real tooth feel? Do you have time to go through the process? Can you afford the out of pocket cost?
If you answer yes to most of those questions, then yes, dental implants sound like a great solution for you!